Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Public Domain Music Resources

In search of sheet music? Check out these sites!!

The International Music Score Library Project is a treasure trove of freely-downloadable public domain scores and sheet music. Copyright laws vary from country to country, so what's public domain in Europe might not be okay here in the States. IMSLP takes no responsibility for monitoring who's downloading what from what country, so check the warnings on each file's page before downloading. If it's anything before 1923-ish, you'll probably be okay in the US. Search away!

They do have a ton of music, though -- looking for a four-hands piano transcription of your favorite Brahms symphony? Got it! How about a solo piano reduction of my favorite piece ever, the Enigma Variations by Sir Edward Elgar? Yes!!


The Choral Public Domain Library, aka "ChoralWiki", does the same with choral music.

Here are a few of my favorites:
I looked these up a while ago because I thought they had the potential to make great string arrangements someday. 8^)

The first two pieces on the above list were performed a few years ago, in December 2006, at the Baylor Symphony and Choral Union's Combined Christmas Concert... a concert I remember as the best Christmas concert ever. There were so many wonderful pieces; I'll never forget it! The cd that I ordered of that concert contains several of my iTunes' "Most Played" songs.


Enjoy the music resources!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment